Friday, April 18, 2008

WARNING!

As of late, Gannon has been trying to grasp the realization that on TV and movies - it is either real or fake. Every time a new show comes on - he asks - is that person - REAL OR FAKE. I have to tell him if it is a cartoon that they are fake - somebody just drew that. Dinosaurs fall into this category and really scary monsters. When they are real people, I try to explain that they are real people but are pretending. Now some of you may question my judgement - why are you letting a 4 year old watch things like . . . Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Superman, and he really likes the one about the BIG shark - yes JAWS! My only answer - I don't want them to be afraid of make-believe things. My children are honestly not scared of much (ON TV/movies) because I have drilled into them from them from the very beginning that these things are not REAL - that there are no such things as dinosaurs etc. No nightmares at the Checketts house - we are living the nightmare - :0) Just kidding.
So, apparently Gannon thinks the actors on the T.V. can hear him know. He repeatedly warns people not to do things that may hurt them as they are jumping off high places or getting too close to the edge of a cliff. Last night we were watching Water Horse. This little boy had found a water horse egg and it was a dark, stormy night. He had gone into the shed where he had hid the egg to check on it. It was raining and the music was building up to a scary climax. He was sitting right up by the TV with his little face lifted upward and he sat there with his eyes wide and in a whisper said - "I would not go in there if I were you." I laughed - who wouldn't.

Now, if you want to know how gory I make getting in a car wreck to scare them into wearing their seatbelts or what can happen if someone bad takes you so they stay by me in the store - call me for some pointers. I have scared the living daylights out of them all!

Do I win mother of the year? Not likely.

6 comments:

Stacy said...

Well,I still think you're Mother of the Year!! I am so glad you found me - I love your blog! How are you liking Highland? We should get together sometime and commisserate about being cold in APRIL, for heaven's sake. If you're ever in Davis County...

Cassie and Chad said...

Very Funny! That Gannon is sooo cute. Hey your birthday wish to Nelo was HILARIOUS!!!! Can't wait to see you at the zoo!!!

Kris-10 said...

That was too funny. I am always amazed at how both him and Rigdon watch Jurrasic Park with no problems. I saw it in Jr. High and had dinos chasing me in my dreams all night.

Lori said...

I don't think my kids were afraid of too much either. Well maybe the flying monkey scene in the Wizard of Oz. Gannon is pretty brave.

Anonymous said...

Let me just tell you for the record... I am petrified--as in deathly afraid of bugs AND scary movies--so my mother's statment is not accurate! And I would have loved to see him whispering to the TV!!

Rachel Stewart said...

I am with Melissa. I would have loved to see that!! He is just the cutest kid. I loved watching him use his light saber this past visit. He was just great! I hope you have that on video.

And that monkey scene from Wizard of OZ is scary!