Wednesday, April 23, 2008

WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?

Kenzie strikes again - she scratched Mikala last night after a shouting match where Mikala told her to get off her bed. I decided to have a little heart to heart with the cat and sat her down on her bedroom floor - knee to knee. I begged and pleaded and told her how serious this was. (Luckily Jason was at young mens or we might have had a case for CPS on our hands.) I started crying and asked her to please not scratch my children. I love them and it breaks my heart to see her treating her siblings this way.

I told her that if she really felt like scratching to come and scratch my arms, that she could take her frustration out on me - but to please stop hurting my children.

She started to cry and I told her what a good girl she is and that if she repented these sins could be taken away because of the power of the atonement. I told her she could ask Heavenly Father to help her - and he would.

She looked at me and asked - "Mom, can a person get baptized more than once?"

Biting my lip - "No Kenzie, you only get one chance"

"OH"

We will see if it works.

5 comments:

Rachel Stewart said...

Tell her yes! Every time she takes the sacrament and is truly repentant it is just like entering the waters of baptism again. She will be just as clean.

I am so amazed at you! What a great way to reach her. What a great mother you are!!

Kris-10 said...

Wow, not sure what to say...maybe you should get her one of those scratching posts like cats have...

Lori said...

It is so hard growing up and learning how to control your feelings. I guess in the meantime keep her nails very, very short and have everyone wear long sleeves.

The Heaps said...

Wow! I hope your discussion helped her to realize what she is doing is not a good thing! Good luck and let us know what happens!
She really is a sweet girl and we lover her very much!

Naughty Newbee's said...

Maren, I LOVE you!! I am laughing so hard at your posts, hoping my kids don't hear me and wake up. Kenzie is so funny, but you are such a wonderful MOM I know she takes you serious and she will be better I know.