Monday, May 19, 2008

A DAY OF REST

You know, I was contemplating the "SABBATH" and what it is like for our family. By definition Sabbath Day - is a day of rest. But I do not believe this is the case. Indeed I may say that the Sabbath day is probably one of the more busy days of the week.

By the time we get up and get breakfast it is time for church. And I don't know about you, but getting ready for church is like running a marathon. I am running up and down the stairs trying to get people in-line to do hair - running back and forth from the bedrooms making sure everyone is getting dressed. Running in and out of the house trying to keep everyone inside free from grass-stains, mud-stains and bicycle tire tracks on their pants. Then trying to feed them again right before we leave so they aren't crying the whole hour and ten minutes of sacrament that they are STARVING! Add Jason scout/YM meetings and my Activity/Ward Council meetings to that + two home teaching visits and what do you have left - 2 hours to make dinner which - Where did that tradition originate from - Sunday dinner. What moron thought of that?

We spend 2 hours making a dinner that takes 10 minutes to eat and then we spend 40 minutes cleaning it up. This is the day we should be allowed to go out to eat at a restaurant. Why not pay ahead eating. You go the day before to pay and then you aren't spending any money - of course then there is the factoring in of the people that have to work to serve you, but they are going to be there anyway - right?

And is it really such a crime to tape your kids mouth shut for sacrament meeting? My kids are SO loud. And I guess it just seems like they sound like they have their mouth right up to a megaphone and are shouting - I have to go to the bathroom - Kenzie's leg is touching me, I need a drink - WHEN IS THIS GOING TO BE OVER? Can I go to class yet?

Okay enough with the complaining - but seriously -

SABBATH - isn't it about time?

7 comments:

Cassie and Chad said...

Amen Sista!!! Sunday for me is insane. A little out to eat dinner would be nice!

The Weights said...

Another AMEN!! No matter what I do or how I plan, I am always 5 minutes late and it is crazy, I can only imagine with 6 six kids!! And, you get my vote for the Sunday out to dinner plan!! The Sabbath for Mormons, often tends to be one of the busiest days of the week!! I guess the challenge is for us to try to minimize and try to keep it a day of restful focus on the Savior and trying to prepare for the upcoming week! Easier said than DONE!!

Anonymous said...

Hello, I got up to bear my testimony last month just so I could get off the naughty bench. And yes I think we should marry off our children, can you imagine how stunning their kids would be? Brangelina look out!

Erin said...

Amen to that. I have four kids and do it all by myself. I just said to my husband yesterday, I hate Sundays. I shouldn't, but I do. They are so stressful, and I only have one girl to get hair done on. The boys are all pretty easy.

Lori said...

By the time you have everyone in the car you are so ticked off and nobody is happy that who wants to go sit and be reminded of "love at home" Wouldn't it be nice if we could just watch sacrament on T.V. like Conference? How about when you are trying to get everyone gathered to have family prayer. That was always a signal at our house that a fight needed to start. We would always have someone mad, crying or hurt feelings - who feels like praying? No one. Yeah, love at home.

CHECKETTS BUNCH said...

Serious - FHE is like World War 3. One day my time will come and I will laugh at them trying to control their kids.

The Heaps said...

lol!!! I have no idea what it's like for you and your six kids. Not to mention a husband that isn't there to help get them ready....but I have a tough enough time with Gavin and Hayden. I don't envy you!